As the calendar year nears its close, well-organized charities will be orchestrating year-end fundraising campaigns. These initiatives are used to fulfill wish lists, meet annual goals, and fund special projects. As these organizations launch these campaigns, it’s important that they understand donor thinking and strategies during this time of year.
During the holidays, typical donors…
- Respond to public, promotional, emotional appeals
- Prefer easy access to make a contribution
- Make donation amounts of their choice
- Seek well-managed organizations
- Wish to not be the only donor
- Want to know how the money will be used
- Choose to support a well-regarded and/or well-managed organization
- Expect proper acknowledgement
Saavy donors make informed donation decisions.
Appropriately stated by Charity Navigator, “Smart givers generally don’t give reactively in a knee-jerk fashion. They don’t respond to the first organization that appeals for help. They take the time to identify which causes are most important to their families and they are specific about the change they want to affect.”
- Institutional Data
- Human Resources
- Public Information
- Finance & Fund Development
As the holidays are upon us, non-profit directors should consider what drives donors.
Donors say appeals that put a face to the donation (either human or animal) and remind them to help those who are less fortunate at this time of year, are most persuasive. A few thoughts to consider…
- Holiday giving is emotional.
- Donors are thankful for what they have and give to those who need it.
- Donors tend to give more when the online experience is intimate and emotionally coherent.
Stats to consider about major donors…
- One-third of donors with $100,000 or more in annual income, indicate all or most of their charitable giving for this year has not been planned ahead of time.
- 42 percent of households with over $100,000 in income, said receiving a tax deduction was a significant influence on their giving.
Year-end fundraising campaigns are smart strategies used by well-organized charitable organizations.
Click here for a guide designed to help charities orchestrate year-end giving campaigns.