It’s the time of year when non-profit organizations need to be conducting fundraising efforts to close the calendar year on positive notes. Year-end giving campaigns are an underutilized tool, which can be used to tap new donor bases and raise new dollars to meet goals, fulfill wish lists, or fund key initiatives.
Below are statistics illustrating the effectiveness and potential value of year-end giving campaigns.
- More than 174 million adult Americans plan to give money to charity between Thanksgiving and year-end.
- Between 35 percent to 42 percent of online giving happens in November and December.
- About 40 percent of online gifts are made in December.
- Giving in December brings in about 1/3 of the fundraising dollars.
- More than 20% of all giving for the entire year occurs in the last 48 hours of the calendar year.
- Online giving happens largely between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays.
- Online giving (by dollars) on December 31 is concentrated between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. in each time zone.
- Donors are projected to give through a variety of channels this holiday season.